This course provides learners with knowledge to recognise significant weed species and apply a range of weed treatment and control options.
This unit applies to supervised workers treating weeds in commercial crops, nurseries, parks and gardens, turf, and natural areas and is carried out following strict work instructions and under supervision.
Supervisors are required to hold current chemical handling certification and a first aid certificate. Other licensing conditions may also apply to this unit. Specific determination should be sought through the relevant State or Territory.
The unit applies to individuals working in a broad range of job contexts who undertake defined routine activities under supervision. They exercise limited autonomy within established and well known parameters, providing solutions to a limited range of predictable problems.
The candidate must be assessed on their ability to integrate and apply the performance requirements of this unit in a workplace setting. Performance must be demonstrated consistently over time and in a suitable range of contexts.
The candidate must provide evidence that they can:
▪ follow supervisor instructions to prepare and apply treatments to weeds
▪ identify and report safety and environmental hazards according to workplace requirements
▪ shut down and clean and store personal protective equipment and application equipment in a way that minimises environmental impacts
▪ dispose of treatment waste according to workplace procedures and without causing environmental damage
▪ maintain records according to workplace and legislative requirements
▪ use standard industry terminology for plants, weeds and chemicals
▪ apply work health and safety practices in the context of own work
▪ apply appropriate sustainability practices in the context of own work
Available for this course
In order to receive a certificate for any accredited course, all students must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). We recommend that you create your USI before you book your course. You will need your USI to enrol. Create one or find out more at www.usi.gov.au