USI – Unique Student Indentifier
From 1 January 2015 if you are undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.
Do you need a USI?
You will need a USI when you enrol or re-enrol in training from 1 January 2015 if you are a:
- student enrolling in nationally recognised training for the first time, for example if you are studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course;
- school student completing nationally recognised training; or
- student continuing with nationally recognised training.
You are a continuing student if you are a student who has already started your course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and will continue studying after 1 January 2015.
Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked and you will be able to:
- view and update your details in your USI account;
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript;
- control access to your transcript; and
- view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
If you are an international, overseas or an offshore student please visit usi.gov.au for more information.
How to get a USI
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online.
While you may create your own USI, training organisations are also able to create a USI for you. Training organisations should do this as part of the enrolment process when you begin studying. Where this service is provided, training organisations will let you know.
The following steps show how you can create a USI:
Step 1 Have at least one and preferably two forms of ID ready from the list below:
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for international students
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
- Immi Card
IMPORTANT: To make sure we keep all of your training records together, the USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI. The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.
Step 2 Have your personal contact details ready (e.g. email address, or mobile number, or address).
Step 3 Visit the USI website at: usi.gov.au.
Step 4 Select the ‘Create a USI’ link and follow the steps.
Step 5 Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Step 6 Follow the instructions to create a USI it should only take a few minutes. Upon completion, the USI will be displayed on the screen. It will also be sent to your preferred method of contact.
Step 7 You should then write down the USI and keep it somewhere handy and safe.
Contacting the Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar (OSIR)
Phone within Australia: 1300 857 536
The Office of the Student Identifiers Registrar phone support hours are 9am to 5pm Australian Eastern Time Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays, with a call back option for Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory to 5pm their local time.