View our full range of courses on offer.


Register for your course online today.

Student Login

Existing students, log into your course account here


Frequently Asked Questions

Q.Is my Forklift Licence Still Legal?


This is a current 5 year renewable High Risk Work Licence

As of 30th June 2014 this style of licence is NO LONGER LEGAL. Call Workplace Health and Safety Qld on 1300 655 986  to ascertain if anything can be done to transition your Licence through to a HRW Licence.

Call us if you need to discuss arrangements for re-assessment.

Q.Can I still operate a Forklift on my old Paper Licence?


Any paper licence holders who need to operate a forklift or order picker in the workplace will need to undertake further training to bring them up to current Australian standards plus knowledge of Legislation and Regulations. They will need to undertake re-assessment and make a fresh application for a Licence.

Q. Is my Overseas Forklift Licence valid for work in Australia?

No, you need to "cross your licence over" to an Australian Licence, you can contact Workplace Health and Safety Queensland 1300 655 986 to see if you qualify for an automatic transfer. However, in our experience Licences that can be swapped straight over are in the minority. Most overseas Forklift Licence holders have to undertake some gap training and re-certification.  If your Licence is a current and you have recent experience, you may qualify for a 1 day RPL gap training course.  If your Licence is over 5 -6 years old and it is a while since you have used a machine, you will need to undertake and obtain a new licence.

Q. Is my Forklift / Order Picker licence a national licence?

It is a Qld issued licence recognised nationally - renewable every 5 years.

Q. What do I need to drive a Forklift on the road?

When driving a forklift on the road, the machine needs to be either road registered or a permit (or exemption) obtained to allow the machine to be on a road.

You will also need a high risk work licence.Plus an operator needs a the relevant machinery Licence (competency card) PLUS the right class of "vehicle" licence.

You will also need a current driving licence (for the class of car is fine).

Changes to Earthmoving Licences

As of 1st January 2012, all of the earthmoving occupations were de-regulated click here for more detail i.e. do not require a licence to operate. This equipment includes backhoes, front end loaders, excavators, rollers, skid steer loaders, dozers, graders and scrapers.

What does an employer or student have to do now to prove competency click here for more detail trainees that complete a course at All States Training will be issued with a "competency card" to demonstrate to an employer that a course of training has been done.

Q. Can I still operate an Excavator on my old Paper Licence?

Determining the competency of earthmoving operators will remain the obligation of the employer (person conducting a business or undertaking) and as such it will be up to each PCBU to decide if that particular licence / card paper certificate will be accepted to assist in evidencing competency. The PCBU will still have an obligation to ensure the worker has received training on the specific plant and particular job. Some employers may accept your old paper licence, others may not - you may have to bring your existing qualification through to currency. There are huge penalties for PCBU's that do not provide adequate training and instruction to their workers.

Q. Does a backhoe cover me for a front end loader?

Under the previous Work Health and Safety Regulation 2008, the answer was no, they were classed as 2 separate machines and 2 separate competencies. If you held a backhoe licence you could legally operate the GP bucket and the hoe on that machine. However, If you were then asked to operate a front end loader - you would not be legally allowed to do so. Under the current Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and 2011 Work Health and Safety Regulations - it is down to the employer to ensure a worker has the adequate training and instruction on any machine they are being asked to operate. However, even under current legislation there are separate units of competency for these machines.

Q. How big does my earthmoving machine need to be for a practical assessment?

Can be any size. Under current Work Health and Safety Regulations, the size and the capacity of the machine are not relevant to assessment. Anyone operating any type of earthmoving machinery needs to be competent. This is not the same as in the previous 2008 Workplace Health and Safety Legislation where if a machine that was smaller than 2 litre the operator did not legally require a licence.

Q. What do I need to drive a Piece of earth moving equipment on the road?

When driving a tractor, backhoe, etc. on the road, the machine needs to be either road registered or a permit (or exemption) obtained to allow the machine to be on a road.

Plus an operator needs the relevant machinery Licence (or competency card).

You will also need a current driving licence to the specific size of the machine/s.

Operators should be aware that from 1 January 2016 all mobile cranes over 4.5t GVM will not be able to be driven on a class UD licence. If you wish to drive a mobile crane over 4.5t GVM after the two year transitional period you will be required to hold the appropriate class of heavy vehicle licence.

Q. Does the Skid Steer Assessment (formerly Licence) cover me for a Drott?


Q. Does the Skid Steer Assessment (formerly Licence) cover me for a Dozer?

 No, because a dozer doesn't load, it just pushes. LZ is the licence category for Dozer.

Proud Members of